What you will need...
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 flour tortillas (whole wheat is yummy too)
- 2 cups pulled chicken, cooked (we used about 3/4 of a whole chicken cooked in the crock pot)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 3 cans diced tomatoes with green chilis, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (don't leave this out!!!)
- 1 to 2 cups shredded cheese (your choice, we used a Mexican mix)
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1/4 cup diced jalopenos
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper
Preheat your oven to 350*. Take the whole chicken out of the crock pot, if you haven't already done this, and pull off all the meat. In a bowl, mix the pulled chicken with the chili powder and cumin, and cover to keep moisture in the chicken (I added a spoonful or two of the chicken stock from the crock pot). Saute onions, pepper, garlic, and a bit of salt and pepper in a skillet until the veggies are soft (about 5 minutes). Add the onions, pepper, beans, corn, tomatoes with chilis, 1/8 cup ciliantro, and 1 cup shredded cheese to the bowl with the chicken and stir. Use a rectangular baking dish, and spray or brush with a bit of olive oil if food usually sticks to it. One by one, place the tortilla in the pan, fill with the mixture and fold shut. Spoon salsa and jalopenos over the top, cover, and bake 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, top with cheese (how much is up to you) and 1/8 cup cilantro; bake 10 more minutes uncovered...YUM-OLA!!!
Sides to think about...great with a some steamed Mexican vegetables, Mexican rice, guacamole and blue corn chips, or jalopeno cornbread...and of course cervezas!
How many people can eat...should feed 8 if you have a side or two with it...these buhr-itos are huge!