Sunday, May 15, 2011

Black Bean Spaghetti Sauce

 Okay, I admit that I too thought it didn't sound very good at first, but let me tell you...you can't stop eating it!  I can't take all the credit for this one, as Katie B introduced me to this meal.  Jeff and I have it all the time, and it is so good that we make enough to have lots of leftovers! 




What you will need...
  • 3 tbsps olive oil
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 medium onion, sliced into long thin strips
  • 2 red peppers, sliced into long thin strips
  • 1 cup mushrooms (optional)
  • 4 cans (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 4 cans (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes
  • 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
  • 1 can (29 oz) tomato sauce
  • 1 1/2 tbsp oregano
  • 1 1/2 tbsp basil
  • 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
In a large pot, heat the oil and saute the garlic, onion, and red peppers over medium to medium-high heat.  After a few minutes, add salt and pepper, and the mushrooms (optional).  Cook until the onion and peppers are to your liking (we like ours soft).  Add the stewed tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and black beans.  Stir all together.  Add the oregano, basil, and seasoning.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.  Let cook or simmer on low for about 20 minutes.  Serve over your favorite pasta...YUMO-OLA!!!

Sides to think about...great with garlic bread and a spinach salad.  Sometimes, when I'm not in the mood for the pasta, I eat the sauce over sauteed spinach and top with fresh parmesan cheese.

How many people can eat...like I said, we make a lot for leftovers and even freeze some...so, this makes enough for about 10-12 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment